An environmental science camp in Maine!
Get your hip waders ready! Be a scientist for a week and do REAL fieldwork in Maine – from the hills to the sea. If you are interested in the formation, evolution, and care of our physical landscape – the science behind it all and the relationship to living things – you need to spend a week with us at America’s Environmental College at the Environmental Science Camp.
What will I do at the environmental science camp?
Come explore college and career opportunities in the field of Earth and Environmental Science – with Unity College faculty and current students. Be prepared to go stream wading to collect and analyze water, sample, explore the geology of the Maine coast, and dabble in hydrology, and environmental chemistry.
- Take water samples from Maine ponds
- Rock identification on Mt. Desert Island
- Compare soil samples and mineral content from the shores of ponds, streams and the coast.
- Take a boat out onto scenic Lake Winnecook
- Roast smores around the fire circle
- Spend a day at McKay Farm exploring plant cycles
- Get a jump start on your college course credits by enrolling in the camp. Participation in this camp allows you to receive 2 college course credits for an additional fee. Upon completion of the camp, you will achieve a Pass/Fail grade.
Dates and Cost of the Environmental Science Camp
- Dates: July 30 – August 3, 2018
- $1,000 Registration includes food (Monday lunch through Friday lunch) and lodging (Monday night through Thursday night).
- $2,240 Registration + 2 college course credits, food (Monday lunch through Friday lunch) and lodging (Monday night through Thursday night).
Students entering grades 7-12 in the Fall of 2017 are eligible to attend. Spaces are limited so please apply early.
Upon successful registration, you will receive an introduction packet with more information on the environmental science camp.
Environmental Science Camp Payment and Refund Policy
Payment is requested in full to reserve a space. $200 of the payment is a non-refundable deposit. No refunds will be given if a cancellation takes place less than one month prior to camp start date. For cancellations, please contact us. If Unity College must cancel a camp or program, participants will receive a full refund.
No individual or group will be discriminated against because of race, gender, national origin, or disability.
Transportation to the Environmental Science Camp
It is the camper’s responsibility to provide transportation to and from Unity College. However, due to our high number of transnational guests, we can provide a shuttle to and from the Bangor airport for an additional $50 or the Portland airport for an additional $75.
Early Arrivals and Late Departures
Additional nights of accommodation can be added for $40 for a single room and $60 for a double room (2 single beds) per night. We also have suites that sleep up to 5 for $125 per night. Minors must be accompanied by an adult. Unity College does not provide entertainment or food for these extra days, but the town of Unity is within walking distance and has several restaurants.
We look forward to seeing you on campus this summer at the environmental science camp! If you have any questions, please contact us!