Explore one of America’s newest National Monuments, where we will discover its rivers, streams, woods, flora, and fauna through canoeing, fishing, natural history hikes, and a Moose Tour.
June 1 – June 3 (Friday afternoon – Sunday afternoon)
$500 Last day to register is April 20, 2018.
Difficulty Level: Advanced (adventurers will camp 1 night in a tent)
After checking in to your campus accommodations, gather with your fellow adventurers for a top notch wine and hors d’oeuvres social. Then learn about the flora, fauna, and natural history of our newest national monument, Katahdin Woods and Waters.
Wake up before the crack of dawn and enjoy a scenic drive to Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument. Meals will be along the way. After arriving at the campsite, the group will be able to choose between canoeing and fishing on the Penobscot River.
In the evening, explore the woods and fields for wildlife, including moose and deer. Gather at the campsite and relax around the fire listening to the crickets.
After a hearty outdoor breakfast, hike the trails, learning more about the natural history of Katahdin and catch more opportunities to see wildlife. Be sure to pack your binoculars to help spot North Eastern bird species.
Pack up and return to campus for a delicious lunch featuring micro-local fair from Maine.
- Tour groups have been kept small, so register early.
- The Unity College dining staff is masterful when it comes to accommodating dietary restrictions, but we need to know what those are in advance of your visit.
- Adjustments to Tour itineraries may be made due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Participants must be in good health and be able to participate in various activities not limited to hiking, paddling, and wilderness navigation.
- Once you register, an email will be sent with more details about times, directions, and what to pack.
- With the exception of the Katahdin Tour and Penobscot Tour, which has one night of camping, all other tours will spend the night on campus in comfortable residence halls.
- Cancellations can be made up to one month prior to the tour, but there is a non-refundable $200 fee. If Unity College cancels for any reason, a refund will be made in full.
- Minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Transportation can be provided for an additional $50 to and from the Bangor Airport, $75 for the Portland Airport, and $25 for the Augusta Airport.
- Unity College does not discriminate on the basis of gender, national origin, age, or disability. However, please be aware that due to the nature of some activities we cannot adequately accommodate those who are not physically capable of participating.
- For groups of 10+, please contact 207-509-7121.