Unity College is partnering with Maine Kayak to offer a laid back weekend retreat including a full day of kayaking off the scenic coast of Maine. See bird and wildlife while learning about the history and lore of the area. All equipment included.
Difficulty level: Intermediate (Minimum age for this trip is 16 and minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian)
Arrive Friday night and gather with your other adventurers for an evening social with delectable heavy appetizers, adult beverages and music.
After a hearty breakfast on campus, and perhaps a stop at the Amish Bakery for homemade donuts, head to the coast to meet up with your Maine Kayak instructors. After some training in safety and technique, go paddling on Muscongus/Johns Bay. This is the perfect setting to see wildlife, such as seals, osprey, and terns. Rest and enjoy a picnic lunch on an island, before discovering sheltered coves and other islands as you continue your leisurely paddle. Along with continued kayak instruction, your Maine Guide will share the history, lore and information about the wildlife of the area. Your guides will also cover leave no trace guidelines and wildlife conservation. After you return to shore, you will be whisked back to campus in time for a fantastic dinner. Relax and unwind in the evening with an optional s’mores roast as the evening fades.
Savor a hearty local breakfast and visit with your fellow adventurers. Then go hiking on one of the many trails adjacent to the Unity College campus. Bring your binoculars for bird watching and explore for wildlife in the surrounding woods.
- Tour groups have been kept small, so register early.
- The Unity College dining staff is masterful when it comes to accommodating dietary restrictions, but we need to know what those are in advance of your visit.
- Adjustments to Tour itineraries may be made due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Participants must be in good health and be able to participate in various activities not limited to hiking, paddling, and wilderness navigation.
- Once you register, an email will be sent with more details about times, directions, and what to pack.
- With the exception of the Katahdin Tour and Penobscot Tour, which has one night of camping, all other tours will spend the night on campus in comfortable residence halls.
- Cancellations can be made up to one month prior to the tour, but there is a non-refundable $200 fee. If Unity College cancels for any reason, a refund will be made in full.
- Minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Transportation can be provided for an additional $50 to and from the Bangor Airport, $75 for the Portland Airport, and $25 for the Augusta Airport.
- Unity College does not discriminate on the basis of gender, national origin, age, or disability. However, please be aware that due to the nature of some activities we cannot adequately accommodate those who are not physically capable of participating.
For groups of 10+, please contact 207-509-7121.
Course Equipment List
Here is a list of items you will need to bring with you for your trip:
- Towel and change of clothes (after the trip)
- Bathing suit and shorts
- 2 Water Bottles
- Hat and sunglasses and safety strap
- Water shoes/Sandals
- Light synthetic undergarment (polypropylene, bergalene, capilene) top & bottom
- Dry top
- Paddling Pants
- Waterproof Camera/Film
- Booties/Wet shoes
- Cash for guide gratuity (optional)
Trip will include
- Lunch (provided by Unity College)
- Wetsuit Top & Bottom (required seasonally)
- Top-of-the-line kayaks
- Life Jacket and Whistle
- Spray Skirt
- Splash Top
Note: Maine Kayak welcomes and encourages the use of personal kayak and gear provided that it meets with our standards of safety.
Below is a list of optional recommended resources in preparation for participant’s learning experience:
- The Essential Sea Kayaker: A Complete Guide for the Open Water Paddler by David Siedman
- Kayak Touring: Canoe and Kayak Techniques by David Harrison
- Sea Kayaking Illustrated: A Visual Guide to Better Paddling by John Robinson
- Kayaking Made Easy: A Manual for Beginners with Tips for the Experienced by Dennis Stuhaug
- The Complete Sea Kayaker’s Handbook by Shelley Johnson
- Sea Kayaking, The Ultimate Guide by Ken Whiting
- Nigel Foster’s Sea Kayaking #1 Getting Started – Produced by Nigel Foster
- Nigel Foster’s Sea Kayaking #2 Essential Strokes – Produced by Nigel Foster
- Canoe and Kayak Beginning Kayaking Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYG8uxnZqng
- ACA Safety Tips: https://youtu.be/RDtF8j_wdOI?list=PLu5LxZSNVvNuuYS7_6ybyiFb3PSCgALlL
- www.paddling.net (Kayaking Information)
- www.kayakonline.com (Kayaking Information)
- www.necky.com (Necky Kayaks)
- www.acanet.org (American Canoe Association)
- www.mainekayak.com (Maine Kayaking Trips and Rentals)